iOS7 is going to break your games

rich

Do you already have some feedback from sponsors if such workarounds satisfy them for now? Forcing iOS7 users to change the orientation of the phone twice, to get a full screen, doesn't seem to be very elegant solution but so far it works for me every time. Both for landscape and portrait orientation (when the page content is tall enough).

Also backing from full screen is possible by tapping very close to the top edge of the screen, there is no need to rotate phone again.

But mostly I am interested to hear what sponsors think about current situation. Because I have some games under development which requires landscape and wonder if it wouldn't be better to get them on hold and focus on some, which can work on smaller area (portrait, 640x712 size, excellent example Rhino Rink, looks great even on iphone4 without hiding address bar).

Safari is not everthing and I don t think that this issue will stop HTML5 game developement in any kind (was always very experimental)...

Two sponsors signed contracts for my game, tecnicaly the situation is in the way I did it still the same, so things will go on...

Bad for those who have a big list of auto scale games, should be like playing on a Gameboy Micro or something like that now ;) 

I ve tried it and my game is still loading in fullscreen ;)  http://www.gobbogoes.info/crossplatform/clochard/

...but this is in my opinion the best way to make it run under Safari and also weeker Android devices via Firefox. Optionally you could do it with a button for fullscreen switch (Youtube style) for tablet and desktop players, that s it...

Well, on my iPad 2 with iOS 7 your game is "centered" on the screen but it is not full screen, no matter the position of the device. Basically your canvas has a thick band of green around it. Just change the color of your body background to white and you will see what I mean.

Well, on my iPad 2 with iOS 7 your game is "centered" on the screen but it is not full screen, no matter the position of the device. Basically your canvas has a thick band of green around it. Just change the color of your body background to white and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for your test. I know, that s why I made ;) ...

On tablets and desktop it s more playable like a traditional flash game (small window).

EDIT: Better implementation of concept:

The following works in chrome browser for IOS7 for games in portrait: (still working on safari)

http://grimpanda.com/games/sandbox/soar

Works in Chrome on iOS7 only if the user doesn't accidentally swipe on the top of the screen, after this the address bar will be painted over your game. Doesn't work at all on Safari for iPad.

The only "solution" to play in fullscreen (for now) seems to be to ask the user to pin the game on his home screen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might want to tell them that Zynga's viewporter code does not fix the iOS7 issue, at best it triggers the address bar to hide if the device is rotated from portrait to landscape while running (as other address bar hide hacks are also likely to do)

yes i checked too, it does not fix the iOS7 issue

I got fucked so hard by apple because of this, that maybe I should sue them for rape.

It cuts of bottom of gameplay with construct2 no matter settings or if you rotate device twice. All work got undone by one single dickish move from apple. I quite started to respect them as a long time windows user but boy oh boy, it got on my nerves so hard if there was some iSpot near streets I would break some glasses. If it was any other company worldwide bitching could maybe do something for the matter and make them fix it, but since company catchphrase is "Think different" I think we are in deep shit as html5 devs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have done some investigation on the iOS7 iPhone fullscreen problem, and here is what i have found:

- Safari forces fullscreen mode when switching from portrait to landscape.

- In fullscreen mode, there is about 42px height area at top and 100px area at bottom, that you can't touch.

- If you touch those areas, Safari brings top and bottom bars back (exits fullscreen mode).

- When top and bottom bars appear, there is no JavaScript event triggered, but the window.innerHeight does change from 320 to 212.

- Only way to switch back to fullscreen, is to switch to portrait and then back to landscape.

There is a way to get the user back into fullscreen without the portrait -> lanscape fiasco  

@enpu is correct about the innerheight, You can check that height every so often, and display a div.

You can stub in a div that allows the user to go back to fullscreen .

Try this on ios7

http://www.freeriderhd.com/t/1006-epic-nthshore

Click the play button and you will see what i mean.

Here is what the user sees

swipe_game.png

Tada!

fullscreen_game.png

• 2 weeks later...

They've started to address this issue. iOS 7.1 beta 2 contains this little beauty:

"A property, minimal-ui, has been added for the viewport meta tag key that allows minimizing the top and bottom bars on the iPhone as the page loads. While on a page using minimal-ui, tapping the top bar brings the bars back. Tapping back in the content dismisses them again.

For example, use <meta name="viewport" content="width=1024, minimal-ui”>."