GMS is not serious about html5

sandy234

Whatever bugs i post whether it is sounds not playing on games or physics not working properly or physics game not working on ipad1 they just give stupid reply that its apples fault instead of actually finding the problem. I think they just dont care about html5 bec that module probably doesnt sell well.

Heres an reply

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch and sorry about the delay.

Running HTML5 game on any iOS device will not work correctly. This is due to Apples restrictions as they want all users to use their App Store for all games/apps.

Orientation, sound, physics and so on will not work on iOS devices when running games via a browser.

Please note, this issue is deliberately enforced by Apple, there is no way for us to fix/work around this.

Thank you for your enquiry.

my reply

Apparently there are games which are not made from game maker studio and which plays sounds and uses physics well across all ios devices.

http://true-token.com/casuals/public/gemollection/
http://m.myplaycity.com/games/steelstory

If the above game can play sounds and run physics game across all ios devices. Why cant games made with game maker do that.
If it was apples fault then all games should not have sound,should not use physics, why only game maker games dont have sound, and cant use physics properly

Yoyo reply

Hi there,

you are indeed correct, there are work arounds (including community made plugins for GameMaker) however they are supported by us and once Apple find games/apps, they are taken down. GameMaker uses OGG file format for Sound, which is not supported by Chrome/Safari/mobile Safari. We export to OGG and MP3, however any time we create a work around, Apple shut it down. iOS seven is even stricter and requires the user confirmation before playing audio via a browser. Again, I can only apologies about this, we would love for games to work properly on all browsers on all platforms, however this isn't possible.

Thank you for your enquiry.

I really don't think this topic is completely well placed. 

Personally , I think HTML5 is so widely accessible on all platforms that you can't make it to work perfectly right on each and every device. And even GM:S it self isn't completely stable at the moment, neither is html5. So I can imagine the kind of work it would take to attempt making a perfect html5 game , especially with GM:S.

I also agree with yoyogames that apple is very strict about their privacy and policies. IOS is a solid hardly editable os and it has a very strict zero tolerant policy with non native stuff. Most users are just happy with that. While on the other side Android is much more open and easy to access, like you can edit its software or download apps from wheresoever, and that aspect is a two edged weapon.

The conclusion is just that I believe It's not the best solution to blame yoyogames. I recommend you to make most use of what GM:S professional with html5 export has to offer. Make nice games with simple gameplay and neat graphics, And you don't necessarily need to use physics.

Is physics unplayable on iPad because of a bug or because of being too slow?

physics didnt work at all on ipad. Game was behaving without physics and not detecting any collision.

they are just giving me same reply again and again. I had filed a bug about background disappearing in ios and reply i get is its browsers fault.

I really don't think this topic is completely well placed. 

Personally , I think HTML5 is so widely accessible on all platforms that you can't make it to work perfectly right on each and every device. And even GM:S it self isn't completely stable at the moment, neither is html5. So I can imagine the kind of work it would take to attempt making a perfect html5 game , especially with GM:S.

This is why my strategy for now is to stay with very modular libraries/technologies that:

1) keep me close to the bare-bone Javascript, and thus give me option to understand what is not working and replace implementation with my own

2) HTML5-first, not generic cross platform tools.

3) have a strong HTML5-centric community

And for now I am willing to sacrifice portability and ease of development. 

I went for CreateJS (EaselJS, SoundJS, PreloadJS), but I am sure this is not the only choice.

Some of the support replies there are just plain wrong. And I don't mean subjectively, I mean on a technical level.

"iOS seven is even stricter and requires the user confirmation before playing audio via a browser."

EVERY iOS version has required this!

Apple didn't "shut down" the OGG format. They've never supported it. In fact there is nothing they've "shut down."

It's always fascinating when a company has people answering their tech support emails who blatantly don't understand the platform their products are running on. But I guess YoYo are no different to lots of other companies. Even so, that's not an excuse for poor support.

There's a simple answer to this - don't use Game Maker if you're serious about making HTML5 games. Or don't trust their support team. Either would do ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GameMaker have a lot of bugs of course. But what wrong with physics? Recently I made physics game and it work perfectly on iOS, Android and WinPhone. One strange bug: physics sensor state doesn't work on iOS Chrome (but work on Android and PC Chrome).

Problem is with html5 game on ipad1. Posting a bug report didnt yeild anything as it was just randomly closed.

I think you do not need to worry about iPad1. This gadget is become outdated. Apple don't support it and there are no chance that YoYoGames interested in support it too.
I think you'll have even more problems with old Android phones. For example, first Galaxy Mini with a 500MHz processor gives only 10 fps in my game. But all modern budget Android phones give maximum FPS. I think you must focus on modern budget phones.

They don't care about old Android device but cares about old iOS device? Do you really know sponsors who still use iPad1 for testing?

I use TestFlight to deliver the iOS games to a potencial AppStore publishers. During last half year I don't see iPad1 in device list for testing. Some publishers still uses iPad2, but for most publisher iPad3 is focus.

Audience is not different. Do you think people with iPad1 play only html5 games but don't play native applications? :)

Actually I think they are more likely to do so, yes, because you can't run the App Store app on iPad1 any more and the vast majority of apps released today don't work on it. The App Store app crashes within a few seconds of opening in most cases (varies based on what the featured game is). They can still sync from their Mac/PC though, but that's not the same seamless experience.

So iPad1 owners are stuck with either the apps they've got installed already, or the random ones they can find in the store that actually work, so these things are being used more and more as just 'web browsers' now.

They don't care about old Android device but cares about old iOS device? Do you really know sponsors who still use iPad1 for testing?

From latest SPIL test report:

Device Name: iPad 1
OS version: 4.3.5

However, it does not mean (I believe) that you cannot sell the game to them, if it does not work on this device. :)

But they do test on it. 

From latest SPIL test report:

Device Name: iPad 1
OS version: 4.3.5

However, it does not mean (I believe) that you cannot sell the game to them, if it does not work on this device. :)

But they do test on it. 

I spoke with Jur and he said that they can disable IOS4 so the game will only be visible on IOS5 and higher. iPad1 is not a problem :)

But they want sound on iOS and this is problem for GM developers :)

Actually I think they are more likely to do so, yes, because you can't run the App Store app on iPad1 any more and the vast majority of apps released today don't work on it. The App Store app crashes within a few seconds of opening in most cases (varies based on what the featured game is). They can still sync from their Mac/PC though, but that's not the same seamless experience.

So iPad1 owners are stuck with either the apps they've got installed already, or the random ones they can find in the store that actually work, so these things are being used more and more as just 'web browsers' now.

I have an iPad 1 and it doesn't crash in the App Store. I've never heard of that. It's true that a lot of newer games might not work, when you're talking Infinity Blade or something, but I don't have much problems playing most stuff on it even if it's a bit choppy sometimes.