Forum Upgraded

rich

Another issue I've noted: code blocks from pre-upgrade posts appear to not show the correct line breaks (line breaks appear to have been lost), also line numbering has been lost (not showing in preupgrade posts, no option to set it in the new code blocks editor)

31 minutes ago, True Valhalla said:

Looks decent. You should get rid of that unnecessary "Forums" label on the homepage. Also, are you planning to enable Project Wonderful again?

The whole top area could do with some love imho. It doesn't need the Browse / Activity tabs, and then another strip below it (Forums, Chat, Staff) and then another mini-strip below that (where the breadcrumb is). That could all be condensed down I reckon. Of course IPS html templates are the spawn of Satan, so it's not going to be easy to tweak them.

Yes I'll enable the ads again shortly, just trying to figure out more important things first.

3 hours ago, rich said:

No-one ever likes change. Ever. Least of all on the internets.

It's because it drives people out of their comfort zone and they have to re-learn or re-master something and that pisses off most people ;) . But people like very much changes when this is an upgrade or make life more simple. For now, i miss two things that i can't find anymore : using the forum with noscript on firefox (you cannot quote) and the http://www.html5gamedevs.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums  which was THE feature i used most i.e. viewing new content since your last visit sorted by posts. I will keep looking to find if it"s hidden somewhere ;) and get playing with the new features if any.

It's just a forum. It's not like learning a second language. The concepts will always be fundamentally the same, and in the same sort of place.

@totor I can see lots of Activity related settings you can enable, including listing just new posts since your last visit. Under the Activity tab there is an option to create your own custom streams, which certainly has lots of settings in I've never seen before.

So they released a new version of the forum software today. Grrrrr.

On the plus side the upgrade was painlessly easy, which is good (it was always a real chore to do with IPS3)

It appears to have fixed some issues I was having in the admin panel, the datastore errors are gone and, even better, all the RSS feeds are working again now.

Yes 'Mark as Solved' has been removed, apparently you now need to make the whole bloody forum a 'Questions and Answers' (stack overflow) style place, which is insane, but there's nothing I can do until someone releases a plugin to restore the functionality.

18 hours ago, rich said:

It's just a forum. It's not like learning a second language. The concepts will always be fundamentally the same, and in the same sort of place.

@totor I can see lots of Activity related settings you can enable, including listing just new posts since your last visit. Under the Activity tab there is an option to create your own custom streams, which certainly has lots of settings in I've never seen before.

You have to re-learn the way you use the forum, it is like a second language, same idea, different way to express it. The problem is the way the unread content is displayed, before it was very efficient, it displayed X static pages and you could from there reach the last or first message of each topic, now you can't and you have to click load more activity js thingy to display the next page, it's more whizzz beautifully modern but it"s way slower. It it"s the price for a more secure forum it"s ok, it's just it's less efficient than before (for me of course)

in fact, i would like it displays (as before) like this : http://forums.indiegamer.com/find-new/posts

On 13/01/2016 at 0:32 PM, True Valhalla said:

I have gone ahead and replaced my bookmark with http://www.html5gamedevs.com/discover/content-posted/ 

Most appreciated!  Was about to make a post asking whether it was possible to find threads that I had posted in with updates.  Was this functionality not in the previous version?

• rich unpinned this topic