Making money from your games

xantherlogan

Hi all,

Ok so I am learning how to code HTML5 along with Javascript and the cool Canvas element. Still very much a newbie so constantly scratching my head but slowly getting there...

Anyways, the plan is to make an HTML5 game and then port it to various smart phones and sell the game apps through the respective Apple and Android (and possibly Blackberry now, thanks to the cool Z10) stores. I assume everyone kinda has this in mind rather than just having games up for free to play online, as after all mobile gaming is a great industry.

So the question is, has anyone used the various software out there and which ones did you find work the best for creating a great game that performed how you wanted it to?

The main ones I know of are PhoneGap and Appcelerator but I saw a thread on here and someone mentioned CocoonJS. Not heard of that one.

Another question would be is native code (Objective-C) still better than these HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript builds or are they pretty much catching up now that its an even trade off to stick with your web coding skills rather than hire developers and such?

I have used Phanegap a lot for my clients, and I have even released my own app on Google Play to see if it can have a few downloads. You can see it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.remvst.ski

The tool has a lot of drawbacks, and one of them is that it doesn't really respect the W3C implementations. So, if you're using sound, you will have to add some code to determine which API to use. Not such a big deal though.

If you're looking for better performance, you're gonna have a bad time. Basically, all Phonegap does is to allow you to create a simple app with a webview. That means that you'll just end with a simple browser, and perhaps not with the best rendering engine (on Android, we still have to use the default browser's).

Though, I have to say I like the tool. It's really easy if you have basic knowledge of the platform you're aiming at, and now I can make APKs in less than 5 minutes (no joke, really). Of course it takes a bit more time if you need to polish it.

Also, all you really do is HTML5. The documentation shows you how to create your project, and then you're only going to develop just like you would for a web game.

I have to say that I have only tried the Android version.

I haven't tried it yet, but CocoonJS looks good too. I'm still looking for an article which would compare the different tools, so if anyone has feedback for them, I'd love to read it :)

Thanks Remvst :)

As I suspected, PhoneGap is for simpler applications rather than full on games. That's why I have been leaning towards Appcelerator. I've only just heard of CocoonJS so will need to look into that now.

I did come across this article a while ago which compares PhoneGap and Appecelerator. Like me, the author was thinking it was a 2 horse race, so perhaps this CocoonJS is something new since the article was written: http://kevinwhinnery.com/post/22764624253/comparing-titanium-and-phonegap

Just from that article alone, I definitely won't use PhoneGap for my projects, but I def appreciate feedback from people who have actually used the software themselves so am better informed.

If there was a list of apps built by the different software, then that would be great to see how well they perform rather than just reading about the pros and cons.

I don't have the funds to pay for developer fees at this stage, that's why I'm learning it myself. After the first app has gone out and (hopefully) makes a ton of cash, then I'll certainly pay for developer fees and make the more complicated, cartoony games.

But it's kinda a personal mission now. I want to beat this. I like a challenge and I like to win so I'm determined to do this :)

Hey good to see that you are motivated. Important is to find ways to keep yourself motivated. Espcially the last bits of a project are the worst.

Wish you all the best. Feel free to ask questions here. Guess a lot of people are willing to help. 

Concerning CocoonJS - I had a first try today with it. As already mention it is mostly for canvas games. I managed to make my game run on it (at least the start screen, touch input was still disabled). But the first impression is quite good. 

Another question would be is native code (Objective-C) still better than these HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript builds or are they pretty much catching up now that its an even trade off to stick with your web coding skills rather than hire developers and such?

Just saw this post in my rss feeds and though this might be of some interest for your.

Hmm interesting...

Does kinda echo my feelings that native code would be better than HTML based games for more complicated game apps.

My strategy is to make one or two simpler (but addictive!) games to generate capital and from there produce native apps as well as an HTML version of the game to play online at a later date. It ties in with a bigger project I have in mind but that's secret... ;)

Hmm interesting...

Does kinda echo my feelings that native code would be better than HTML based games for more complicated game apps.

My strategy is to make one or two simpler (but addictive!) games to generate capital and from there produce native apps as well as an HTML version of the game to play online at a later date. It ties in with a bigger project I have in mind but that's secret... ;)

Hmm ... I think someone mentioned it before - that making money with apps in the appstore is getting harder everyday. I cannot judge this by myself, since I released none of my games yet in the appstore. However, you should think about the possibility to make some additional money with sponsorship when you have a mobile HTML5 app.

So, unless your game idea technically really requires going the native way - why not using HTML5 to have both possibilities (appstore+web).

Just my 2 cts.

Before I started learning code, I did speak to a few companies that would actually make an app for you and then get it to the app stores and deal with promotions as well.

While I won't be using their services anymore, I understand that it is a crowded marketspace and that I would need to promote any app via social media and other means such as bloggers, magazines etc.

So yeah the first app will be hard to promote but once you have an audience, I think having a website to play/showcase your apps and to show when a new app is coming out, as well as newsletters, social networking again (previews/screenshots of apps in development) will all help build an audience. I'm not just making one or two apps, but several and I aspire to get into console gaming later on so I will need to build up a loyal user base and keep them informed and interested.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't want to demotivate you about creating games and earning money with it. It's definately still a growing market with a lot of potentials.

Using social media and stuff might help a lot - especially when you are a small devleoper I think this is the way to go.

Hey Benny,

Have you used CocoonJS any more?

Just had a look at it and there was a word that I didn't like... Webview.

I think it is able to convert your code to native code, but I'm still learning this stuff so I could be wrong. I don't want to use a webview browser type interface to play my games, I want the software to convert the HTML/CSS/JavaScript into native code. That's why I prefer Appcelerator over PhoneGap.

+1 for cocoonjs.

I just ran a test using a simple HTML5 platform game I threw together using Construct 2, and exporting it out to cocoonjs. On IOS, the results were incredible (60fps solid) but Android kinda staggered a bit. Needless to say, I would definitely take a closer look at cocoonjs.

On the note of using different tools for HTML5 games, there are numerous tool sets that can get the job done without you having to do heavy coding (not to mention these also export out to other platforms besides Html5 ) to consider :

- Construct 2 (event driven style development)

- GameMaker (all around game design package)

- MMF2 (basically drag and drop, but very powerful)

- GameSalad (also drag and drop)

- Stencyl (kinda like GameMaker and Construct 2)

Thanks ra51 and True Vanilla.

I've herd of Game Salad a while back and was going to get into it a few years back but I think back then it only ran on Mac IOS. I'm a PC guy through and through.

Plus I worry about those do-it-all-for-you type things cause if something doesn't go right, you're left stuck. The downside of being a scripty kiddie eh?

I also come in cinnamon flavor.

:D

I use this:

- Monkey - http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/

One code for HTML5, Flash, iOS, Android, XNA, Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

It's something like BlitzMax + Java, there are shortcomings, but we made in this almost three games, and I am satisfied with that.

Next good looking option is GameMaker: Studio with True Valhalla's Mobility Engine.

What would you guys recommend to convert games that are already made for web browsers to native apps (APK only for the moment) ?

I could just use Phonegap as I always did, but do you think I could benefit from other conversion systems?

(oh and by the way, as I have already converted one of my games, I can share the stats for those of you who are interested ;) )

I've been looking at the Game Maker Studio page, specifically at their multiformat options (http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio/multiformat) and I'm quite impressed. HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows 8 and even PC/Mac game versions are what you can convert to but at a cost of $499. Not so bad really but I think the other converters will be cheaper.

I have a few months before I need to make a decision yet. But I think Game Maker may just have knocked off Appcelerator as my converter of choice...

Just been looking at the finer print to Game Maker Studio and it said I WILL need to get a Mac to convert the HTML project into an iOS app. That's utter crap, really. I have never used a Mac and don't intend to start now. I think they are overpriced for what they do. Apple fanboys will surely disagree on this, but whatever.

Who here has actually used Game Maker Studio on a PC?

Also, True Valhalla (known as True Vanilla to some ;) ), what is this mobility platform you suggest using alongside it?

I can chime in with this too, I recently licensed the Mobility engine from True Vanilla ( ;) ) and I'm just putting the finishing touches to my first game with it now. It's saved me a load of time and hassle and it's reassuring to know that my game will display properly across loads of devices even if I don't have the devices to test with. Definitely recommended if you're using GameMaker Studio for mobile HTML5 games.