HTML5 games for desktop

sandy234

There are also other options. As True Valhalla mentioned, advertisements works well, same as other methods: subscription based platforms, single license fee/rental to external publishers. If you have a huge game that allows player for extended gameplay, and there are some certain items, boosters, speed ups, etc - try to go freemium, that's the good way to go with big game. Google Store is also good place to monetize with ads or freemium.

But my best suggestion for HTML5 monetization - produce mobile games. There are many advantages, for example Apple and Android do not support Flash now (Android did in older versions of systems, but no longer), and that gives web mobile games a bright future. Web mobile games give you better opportunities for monetization, and in this moment market is filled with over a thousand HTML5 mobile games. More an more publishers are looking for new content. I believe that's the best way to go now :)

Check out my older blog entry about monetization: http://bushidoit.com/2012/10/show-me-the-money-the-present-and-future-solutions-for-html5-games-monetization/

How did you managed to make 1100$ from your game Animory through advertising only

Let's say that the average CPM of game ads is 0.5$ ... if you make 2200000 hits then 2200000 * 0.5 = 1100$

in other words, your game have to be played if you want to make money.

also, thinking of making money before releasing the game for indie developer is one of the biggest mistakes .

Also, thinking of making money before releasing the game for indie developer is one of the biggest mistakes .

Some game genres do generate money. I wouldn't say that it's a mistake.

Though, I never think about monetisation, I just keep making the games I like, since it's only a hobby. But if your first objective is to make money, thinking about it right from the beginning shouldn't hurt, imho.

@remvst @Valhalla : what I wanted to say is that some developer focus on making money before the game quality and this is a wrong aproach (it's like some new webmasters who put Adsense everywhere and get banned).
I said that because Sandy was surprised of a game making 1100$ with Ads, I wanted to say to him that eaven with very low CPM of 0.5 if he get lot of hits he can make money with ads, but lot of hit mean good quality game.

I was speaking about 2M hits not plays, what I call a hit can be seen as Ad display (a new display each level ? )

also the CPM I gave is 0.5$ witch is very low, with the example of 400 000 plays eaven if we consider one play = one hit, then you can reach 1200$ with a CPM of 3$ witch is reasonable :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know the Lost Decade guys often talk about how they make money on their games. They are wrapping their game with https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit and just selling it on just about every platform available that will accept it. There is also http://appjs.org/ which has web gl support. Make note that when doing standalone stuff you tend to have to do all the marketing and what not yourself...

The places they are selling it is directly from their site, Chrome Store, I believe they were trying to get on Steam Greenlight as well. I am sure Desura could be another option... Uhhh, there are a ton of places to sell your game now :-)

As far as i know Admob isn't meant to be used for mobile web apps any more, they transfered it over so if your targeting the mobile web you use the adsense mobile ad formats.I know people have been banned for using adsense mobile ads in HTML5 games, i assumed that was due to using your ad code across many different URL though.

As for adsense on desktop, why wouldn't you be allowed to use it in a game? I know the word game is added behind HTML5, but other than that, when you nail it down in simple terms, a HTML5 game is just a very interactive website and shouldn't be any reason you couldn't implement adsense ads onto this site/game.

Logic arguments doesn't work with Google :D

we all agree about that, but Google disallowed it.

even with admob/AdSense mobile, you are not supposed to put in-game ads, a distance of 150px should be respected between ads and game clickable area. most of bans are because of that (you put adSense on top/bottom of your game with no reasonable margin => you get banned)