Nigo's Cave || js13kGames wannabe game.

Felipe

screen.gif

Nigo's Cave [WIP]

This is the game I am working on for the js13kgames competition.

I still have no story for this one, and I am still working out the mechanic. I only know that Nigo is a girl trapped/searching something/walking around a cave.

Right now I am trying to kill some collision bugs.

It's all done in javascript and it's not very optimized but it works on my machine.

Right now I am not very focused on keeping it small, but when I get a solid game that could be compressed I'll start optimizing. First make it work and then make it work better.

The controls are arrows to move and jump. Space to make an explosion which will destroy tiles in a radius around the character.

Here you can play the game

Version with music:

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/nigo-s-cave/17025/

Tested on Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Thanks!

Felipe.

There are definitely some collision issues. For example, it's near impossible to jump through a 1 tile gap, but... I love the graphics, and the explode feature is simple but brilliant, and seems like it has huge potential. It makes you feel really powerful, which is cool, but also could create all sorts of interesting situations as you change the map while you explore. 

I enjoy the minimalist gameplay and like the little touch of camera shake on the explosion. WOuld be cool if you can get some debris in there on explosions.

I see an occasional sprite glitch if you jump and come close to a tile above you.

Controls could be a touch tighter. Doesn't seem to like multiple keys being hit. Also seems to ignore if you are holding a key down when you click another key.

A really nice star though. The explosion mechanic is fun.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I've been working hard to solve the collision problems. I believe I've solved the most serious ones. I've also solved the glitch with the sprite jump. I think I've got a more stable version now so I can focus more on the mechanics. I was definitely inspired on Spelunky, mostly the cave generation it used.

What I do for the cave is have 8 different 7x7 2D arrays designed by hand. This arrays consist of just 1 and 0 (1 = tile , 0 = none). This arrays are inside an object called "levels" and each array has an ID based on a character from "abcdefgh".

Before the game loop starts I randomize a string based on "abcdefgh" ( ex: "aecefgeaahdhbbdhcgbgcdhcecfgbdafhfghfggbgcdhcg...." ) and generate a new string which will be use for the generation of the tile map. After that I just create an array that contains the tiles which are based of the new random string.

Here you can try the new version

Thanks!

Felipe.

Thanks! I've made the jump higher. It's true getting up was hard or just impossible. About the "explorer mode" it's just for testing :P so I don't have to go through all the level making explosions.

A new small update. I've added particles when the tiles are destroyed to make look more pretty.

New update on this game. Now you use the mouse to aim and shoot little bombs.

The controls now are: WASD to move and mouse + left button for shooting. Right mouse button to cancel shoot.

http://shin.cl/13k/v2/

Please re-enable the arrow keys, it's just annoying when you have an AZERTY keyboard :(

Anyway I tried the first version yesterday and I had no collision issue. I love the minimalist style as well, and I would love to see what the final gameplay will be like. Maybe you could get inspiration from Bomberman ;)

Please re-enable the arrow keys, it's just annoying when you have an AZERTY keyboard :(

Anyway I tried the first version yesterday and I had no collision issue. I love the minimalist style as well, and I would love to see what the final gameplay will be like. Maybe you could get inspiration from Bomberman ;)

Thanks for the feedback! I've added the arrow + wasd for control :) . I hope I could detect which keyboard is connected. 

Thanks for the feedback! I've added the arrow + wasd for control :) . I hope I could detect which keyboard is connected. 

Well, you can add A for left movement, and Z for jumping. You don't need to detect the type of keyboard. But it's fine enough with arrow keys ;)

Hello everyone I wanted to update with the final version of the game.

The final idea is this:

About
You are nigo. You have the bad luck of being trapped on a cave which doesn't have enough air for you to survive. You must run and jump as fast as you can to get to the bottom, where you will find a door. Use your bombs and drill to get to your goal. You can also use this tools as weapons against the floating red squares, they will attack on sight and when provoked they explode into dangerous particles!

Controls:
Wasd or arrows to move and jump.Mouse to aim.Left mouse button to shoot bomb.Right mouse button to dirll.

You can play the game here:

http://nigo.shin.cl/

Hello everyone I wanted to update with the final version of the game.

The final idea is this:

You can play the game here:

http://nigo.shin.cl/

I definitely liked your game. Haven't had any issues with collision, which I think you already had fixed.

Runs very well on Chrome.

It would be nice as challenge if you could put a timer to hurry things a bit. :)

Overall is great game!

Nice game! It really is kinda addicting. The blocky pixel style really is nicely executed with the explosion effects and so on.The sounds really match the style as well.

One suggestion I have: It's currently a bit hard to notice if the player was hit by an enemy (or enemy debris). You basically have to look at the energy bar to confirm that you actually lost energy.

Some kind of hit effects on the player would help a lot here. E.g. make the entity flash white. You may also want to manipulate the velocity of the player on impact, though this has some implications on how the game plays.

In anyway, impacts in game should always have some kind of graphical feedback. It one core component to make games more "juicy". (there is also a nice video about this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/178938/Video_Is_your_game_juicy_enough.php)

Anyway, nice work in general! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys,

After getting the 4th place on the js13k compo. I decided to port my game to a not so common handheld. The PS Vita, at first I tried to find a way to just use JS source to run it on web, but performance was horrible. Even simple examples like this: http://dev.shin.cl/monster/  run really slow. My only solution was to code it from 0 and use a language that would help run my game natively. I chose Monkey which translates to c# and uses the framework needed by PSM to run games on the device. The result it's great!

You can view a video of the game running on the psvita here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMjbUzG4QE

Greetings!