What's your favourite text editor/IDE ?

Paul-Andre

I'm using Windows 7.

I have Sublime Text with about 10 plugins installed. I code both JavaScript and PHP.

Still, I'm also working with NetBeans, PHPStorm (didn't try WebStorm yet) and Notepad++ when I need to edit something fast.

I the latest Zend Studio license also but didn't gave it a change yet, I got used doing everything fast with Sublime Text. BTW, 70$ is not much for a FAST and plugin-free editor.

I also have a Cloud9 account, it's ok for quick web development because it doesn't matter where you are and what tools you have available.

I personally don't like this approach because of the privacy/security issues.

I never used vim, but then I'm not a UNIX guy.  I have used vi a bit, from which I understand that vim is descended.  vi is powerful, but delivers an absolutely horrible user experience (until you learn it, I am told).  Is vim like that or is it a whole different animal?

The vim for sure is much easier (and has much more resources than original vi) but it's learning curve is very steep. I use vi / vim since 1991 and up to now I don't master it.

But the more you use it, the more you love it.

As I wrote in my previous post, from time to time I try to use other IDE/text editor but I really miss vim and I start using it again. Every IDE/editor I tried miss some features I use in vim. And even when they have the same feature (say regex) I feel more confortable using vim.

There are some projects that integrate a bunch of plugins for vim in order to make it as easy to use as Sublime Text (an excellent editor, by the way). For instance, see http://vim.spf13.com/.

But I prefer it the way I learned it so I don't use any plugin that eases its UI.

As I am mainly a PHP developper, I'm using PHPStorm for years, which includes all the functionality of WebStorm + the PHP stuff.

Complete features, quite smooth, lots of plugins, frequent updates, I'm happy I can code everything I need (php, html, css, javascript, templates...) with this solid IDE.

Do any of the sublime text users above know of a good extension for handling XML in sublime, ideally with pretty print formatting options? I tried installing XMLLint earlier today but don't seem to be getting anywhere with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...