What's your favourite text editor/IDE ?

Paul-Andre

Give Komodo Edit a try. It feels a bit laggy but I really like it.

Other than that I really liked Aptana (= Eclipse), but changed only because of performance issues.

Geany is pretty good too for quick modifications: fast and simple, the Linux equivalent for Notepad++ imo ;)

For a capable, fairly "light" solution, I like the Sublime Text editor: http://www.sublimetext.com/ .  This is free to try, and I think you can "try" it forever (though I bought it - a bit pricey at around $70, but well worth it IMO).

For something more capable, but definitely heavier and not free, you might want to consider the WebStorm JavaScript IDE: http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/ .  This is around $50 (there is a 30 day trial).

I have just downloaded Sublime, and it sure looks good. I don't know how to feel about those 70 dollars though.

Like he said you can "try" it forever, but I promise if you read about the features and use them; you will buy it eventually. I used it free for a while and bought a license because it is amazing, now I don't use anything else except emacs.

My preferred IDE for HTML and JavaScript is WebStorm (paid solution). I've also successfully used the latest NetBeans and Aptana Studio.

Sublime Text 3 is great, but it is not geared towards web development, you will need to add a lot of plugins to make it work well (like JsLint) also it has no IntelliSense like WebStorm for e.g.

If you like to tinker with your editor you should definitely try Emacs or VIM. If, on the other hand, you are more interested in immediate productivity use an IDE that was created with web developers in mind (WebStorm or Aptana Studio).

(Primarily a Linux user) I've used Eclipse a bit in the past, but for most of my work I've recently used Kate (KDE) which is super basic but is stable enough and nice enough to get the job done. 

This week though, I've been giving Sublime Text 2 a go for the first time and I'm loving it. Some very nice features and the smoothest/sleekest text editor Ive ever used and it looks great.

$70 is a bit rich for me, but the free version appears to have all the same features, the only setback is very occasionally it will ask if you want to buy the registered version - something which I might do a few months from now if I'm still using it a lot (likely)

Give Komodo Edit a try. It feels a bit laggy but I really like it.

Other than that I really liked Aptana (= Eclipse), but changed only because of performance issues.

Geany is pretty good too for quick modifications: fast and simple, the Linux equivalent for Notepad++ imo ;)

I tried Komodo Edit. It seemed good but everytime I wrote an If statement it wrote the the word "test" and then "//code" and despite turning off every autocomplete option I could find it still kept doing it. Did you manage to turn this feature off?

I tried Komodo Edit. It seemed good but everytime I wrote an If statement it wrote the the word "test" and then "//code" and despite turning off every autocomplete option I could find it still kept doing it. Did you manage to turn this feature off?

Yeah I've turned off every single auto-completion feature (I hate these, they're just useless :P ), so you can disable it.

Btw did it feel laggy for you? Or is it just my computer?

Yeah I've turned off every single auto-completion feature (I hate these, they're just useless :P ), so you can disable it.

Btw did it feel laggy for you? Or is it just my computer?

No it doesn't feel laggy on my computer.

I've disabled all autocomplete features and it still does it. haha It's a shame cause that's the only reason I won't use it.

Edit: I've finally found an option that turns it off. It was really hidden away though.

I do all my gamedev stuff at spare time with GM:S (and I hate its code editor), but I work as Linux sysadmin in my real work, so I use this:

- nano for remote shellscripting

- WingIDE for python coding

- Geany for everything else

I tried many Eclipse versions and them was slow as hell in my 4 cores and 8GB RAM machine.

Netvibes was fine, and I can't adapt to Komodo.

Never search an IDE for js, But when I finally change GM with a js Framework, obviously will try Geany.

I don't know if these work on linux , but your two major options are Notepad++ and programmer's notepad. I'm using programmer's notepad for html and webdesign because I'm used to the simplicity and the color coding of it, but notepad++ gives you completion options too.They both are free.

None of them works on Linux unfortunately (maybe with Wine someone can use Programmer's Notepad or Notepad++).

Do yourself a big giant favor and try we storm. It's simply the best JS editor out there, if you comment your JavaScript correctly it will behave as if you're working I a statically typed language.

For example if you pass a PHaser.Sprite to a function that expects a Phaser.Point it will let you know. The autocomplete is context aware, so if you're editing a sprite, and you type mySprite[dot] it will give you a list of methods / functions for that object.

It's even aware of inherritance if you use the @extends jsdoc keyword

Definitely worth a try, it will help your code stay cleaner and encourage you to write good docs

Yes it's under Edit/Preferences/ . Now look for "editor", there should be a little arrow next to it. If you click that you get a load more subheadings under editor. (Actually you might have to just click editor twice).  Look for Smart Editing, then uncheck Auto-Abreviations.

It's the little submenu under editor, which makes it hard to find.

Yes it's under Edit/Preferences/ . Now look for "editor", there should be a little arrow next to it. If you click that you get a load more subheadings under editor. (Actually you might have to just click editor twice).  Look for Smart Editing, then uncheck Auto-Abreviations.

It's the little submenu under editor, which makes it hard to find.

Thanks, that worked :-)

I think they couldn't have hidden it better...

For plain html5 & js code is notepad++. Lately I'm using dedicated tools like construct 2 and game maker for which you don't need an editor. I'd love if I could use some advanced editor like eclipse for JavaScript, but at least for me it doesn't look very usable.

For a capable, fairly "light" solution, I like the Sublime Text editor: http://www.sublimetext.com/ .  This is free to try, and I think you can "try" it forever (though I bought it - a bit pricey at around $70, but well worth it IMO).

+1000 on this.

Sublime + JSHint and a few other plugins is all I pretty much all I use these days with the exception of having to ssh into a box and vi a file here and there.

You get some code assist of at least the variables you've created in your current file, but to be honest, I don't really miss the code assist of the heavier IDEs.