Jelly Collapse

sbat

Tap chains of the same colored jellies in this sweet brain-teasing puzzle! 

Click group to clear mechanics with a twist (jellies of varied size and shape), bejeweled-1-style endless level progression, powerups, jellies and cookies. :)

http://jellimatic.com/games/jellycollapse/game/5a36ecf74f7d/

Let me know if it buggs on any of your devices, if certain aspect of the game is not clear, if it is becoming too hard to soon, or if you have an idea for improvement! Thanks a lot!!!

Game is available for non-exlcusive license, my contact: [email protected]

thumbnail.png

I see the sound buttons(so looks like the sound should be there), but have no sound.

Sometimes I wanted to see some kind of a tip, like in most match-3 games when you don't move for a while.

Liked the idea of the rank  :) Small thing but fun.

Tested on Iphone 4s, Safari.

pspmiracle - I think iPhone 4 and 2-year-old-max Androids is a safe bet for now. 

If I am not mistaken, iOS 4.0 is the latest available for iPhone 3g. This alone means a lot of things are going to be broken there anyway (like sound). 

However, Zoe spritesheet can split spritesheets automatically. If anyone complains, I'll just create two spritesheets.

It works with bit reduced fps on htc desire s, which is kind of old/med level device.

Really impressed bby the smmoth of the animations, how did you get that result ?

Thanks!! :)

That's hard to answer, but here are my thoughts:

1. Game objects should be physically accurate. Many simple match-3s look bit weird for very simple reason: shapes fall linearly, or slow down as they approach bottom shapes, or do something else but simple y = g * t ^2 :-). Disney cartoons is also good source for analysis on how cartoon physics works.

2. I am using createjs here. I've setup it to use requestAnimationFrame, not timer. Moreover, in mouse/tap handlers I try to only do very minimal operations, and handle the rest in the main loop. This ensures that the majority of code starts exactly on the start of the frame on modern browsers.

3. Some operations in createjs are more expensive than they seem - for example tap/mouse down on container requires re-rendering of container to 1x1 pixel canvas for pixel-accurate collision detection. stageMouseDown does not do that and thus quite a bit cheaper. So for in-game taps it avoid one big stage.

4. I am agressively splitting expensive operations between frames. For example, each frame I am only dropping one jelly (or one lines of jellies - I forgot :) ). Or detect only one chain with eyes. It is not a big deal if eyes gradually appear with 0.2-0.5 sec delay. But it is a big deal if things freeze over recomputation of the entire graph of chains. State machine is great for this kind of things.

5. Text rendering on canvas is surprisingly expensive. I use bitmap fonts. 

The game is great but can you expect any less from SBat :) ?

I had problems with 1024x2048 with haxe openfl html5 - it seemed that only a part of the .png got loaded into memory but there were no browser errors, just the images from the missing parts of the texture got rendered blank.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...