MarketJS game copying strategy

mentuat

What's with their attempts to faithfully recreate other peoples games?

I mean, I get that they are rebuilding them from scratch and adding their own graphics - but copying the level layouts so accurately is a bit lazy!

original: https://robowhale.com/html5/LetMeGrow/deploy/

marketJS: http://cdn-factory.marketjs.com/en/baby-whale-rescue/index.html

original: http://happylander.com/games/pilotheroes/

marketJS: http://cdn-factory.marketjs.com/en/pilot-training/index.html

It's an interesting strategy - look around and see what games are doing well, then copy them as closely as they can get away with!

I wonder how many other peoples games they have 'recreated' in this way...

Fortunately the clones seem to almost entirely lack the charm and re-playability of the originals.

Copying level designs (e.g. from Let Me Grow) tile-for-tile requires no creativity or enhancement - are you sure this is not an infringement of copyright / expression of an idea?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: if basic ideas/themes/stories were copyrightable, there would be no game market without anyone paying royalties to all those 1980s arcade companies.

Hey fatalfluff, I'm not talking about copyrights on ideas (not possible) but copyrights on the expression of an idea (i.e. the concrete level designs).  Have a look into The Tetris Company vs Xio for some interesting judgement specifics around grid size, probability of piece fits, UI previews etc.  Such case law suggest that when wholesale copying occurs it may be possible to protect ourselves (although still probably financially unwise to do so!?!).

Wait a sec - isn't marketJS developer driven though? i.e developers submit there games to the site expecting to get paid if the game sells?

If I'm right in understanding that, then isn't it other developers who are ripping off these games and submitting to marketJS under the pretense of an original game?

Wait a sec - isn't marketJS developer driven though? i.e developers submit there games to the site expecting to get paid if the game sells?

If I'm right in understanding that, then isn't it other developers who are ripping off these games and submitting to marketJS under the pretense of an original game?

They were trying to become kind of marketplace but afaik they abandon this idea eventually.

I was talking with MarketJs owner regarding it about year ago.

I think that they are developing games internally at the moment.

Hi everyone, I appreciate the comments. 

We work with partner designers and developers from around the world. We care a lot about the quality of the game, how it performs for the device & user. I can say for future games produced, they will be more innovative (we're trying a lot of new things with partners). If there's still concern, please email hello at marketjs dot com, demonstrate that you're the owner, and we'll review your request via email. Hope this helps, thanks.

Hi everyone, I appreciate the comments. 

We work with partner designers and developers from around the world. We care a lot about the quality of the game, how it performs for the device & user. I can say for future games produced, they will be more innovative (we're trying a lot of new things with partners). If there's still concern, please email hello at marketjs dot com, demonstrate that you're the owner, and we'll review your request via email. Hope this helps, thanks.

Try this super innovative thing of having shame and not copying 1:1 level design!