Quick poll - should we allow Unity games here?

rich

Unity  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow Unity WebGL games in the Games Showcase?

• Yes
    • No

We've been getting a steady increase in games posted here that are no more than WebGL exports from Unity. Part of me doesn't mind this, and the other part thinks it's pointless allowing them here as they didn't require any actual HTML5 coding skills at all.

However I'm going to put it to the vote - should we allow them or not?

the difference is I don't want this board swamped with games that have nothing to do with WebGL 

I'm (personally) against it, too. If you open the flood gates, you'll have 50 postings per day from people promoting unity games, but without contributing anything else to the community. 

as long as it runs in the browser without plugin (html5 webgl) it's fine or you keep out all the editors that have "html5 export" or the languages/tools that transpiles to html5 (typescript, haxe, etc). Plus the question will be tougher when webassembly is available ;)

Lots of game in the showcase are just that : "look at my game it's html5" no more no less.Or maybe you can limit the right to post in the showcase to people with at least X posts (like the sponsor forum) but then you have lots of garbage posts just to reach the X posts limits ;) Then it's a showcase forum, literally it shows what html5 is capable of whatever how you produce it. If the link you show was made with babylonjs or blender what would be the difference? Or you want a technical showcase?

Or you want a technical showcase?

It's the HTML5 Developers Forum, and it's a showcase for the output from html5 developers. It's not an "html5 showcase". I personally feel there is an important distinction between the two.

I don't mind about the likes of Construct 2 because Scirra are probably the biggest single champion of html5 as a game platform of all the companies out there, so C2 deserves to be included. And for all its sins GameMaker is similar.

I firmly believe that Unity never wanted to release a WebGL port at all, they were forced to do so by Google killing off their plugin. I will put good money on them moving over entirely to Web Assembly as soon as it's common-place enough.

Even though the votes are definitely moving towards "don't allow Unity games" I wonder if that might be a bit too much of a 'blanket' ban. Instead perhaps I'll evaluate them on a case-by-case basis, and those that are blatantly just here to promote something and not contribute can bugger off. Those that actively take part, their games are welcome.

Even though the votes are definitely moving towards "don't allow Unity games" I wonder if that might be a bit too much of a 'blanket' ban. Instead perhaps I'll evaluate them on a case-by-case basis, and those that are blatantly just here to promote something and not contribute can bugger off. Those that actively take part, their games are welcome.

That sounds sensible to me.

Normally when someone posts their html5 game they are not just wanting to plug their game but also wanting some feedback and will discuss the game.

Those only posting Adverts don't contribute much - so if ANY 'HTML5' export game is posted - I would be happy to see admins 'judge' it to see if the user is actively wanting to participate in the community - or simply plugging their game.

unity seems like it will one day be the best way to produce 3D games on the web. I think unreal engine also has a webgl export.  I personally think it should have its own section if added. I also think construct and gamemaker games should have its own section. 

Javascript game showcase

Others :D

I voted No but have some doubts.

In WiMi5 we develop a HTML5 game editor for creating HTML5 games but you don´t need to have HTML5 programming skills because it´s based on Visual Scripting. You can also use javascript in the game editor, but it´s not a required skill.

We believe that HTML5 is the main asset of the Web as the next gaming platform. So we encourage to use HTML5 as the main technology to develop with, despite you code with HTML5 or use any game editor focused on the Web as its main platform. I don´t think that Unity has the Web as the main platform so this is why I voted no. 

And i voted NO! Because this is html5gamedev so no unity or java here !

And people who do not want construct 2 they must leave this forum too. C2 scirra is one of great backer for html5 game development! I also use c2 and there are over 40 games which are greenlit on steam too....

Beginners like me c2 is main reason that many people can make their own 2d games . No matters how the game would be but satisfied with own game and play :)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted 'No' for a few reasons.

1. This forum really focuses on the challenges related to HTML5 game development and working within that ecosystem. While Unity is a very self-contained system that doesn't demand any interaction with HTML5 technologies from the developer.

2. This is more of a personal/selfish issue but it may be worth stating. There is a certain vitriolic nature and stigma that I am noticing coming from the Unity community lately that I personally would prefer to avoid. Some unsavory individuals seem to think just because they stole some assets and pressed the Build button in Unity, they qualify to judge other developers and their efforts.

3. They have their own forums and community with a great deal of information already available.

I do love Unity and appreciate greatly what it has done for Game Development.

• 3 weeks later...