Favorite Game Engine?

Evan Burchard

• 3 weeks later...

Although I'm a web developer, I recently started using Construct 2 and love it. 

I don't use the layout editor that much with the current game I'm developing. I basically use it as a IDE and for organizing assets alongside the 'code'. The project is fairly complex, and, although I'm pretty early in development, I haven't run into any dead-ends with the engine. It has a lot of slick features that make it very easy to make a game very very fast.

I used to be adamantly against game engines, prefering straight HTML5 and JavaScript. Lately though I've been really into Tresensa's engine, initially for the Flash animation exporter but the engine itself has come a long way. It's now my tool of choice.

My only real complaint about "engines" still is that in the effort to simplify game development they tend to ignore some of the major strengths of HTML5, like the drawing API, clipping, compositing, pixel-level image editing, multi-canvas, multi-touch, etc.  I understand that we're still in the early stages of most engine development (and HTML5 support in general) but eventually moving Sprites around isn't going to be enough and we'll need to see the deeper features of HTML5 implemented.

Just to keep the self-promotion going (sorry folks :))... I totally agree with KyleNau. That's always bugged me, and as a matter of fact, one of the better features of WADE is, in my opinion, the ability to replace the draw functions of some or all your sprites with functions that you can write yourself (the current html5 context is passed into your custom functions). You know, for those times when the built-in functions are not enough and you want to do something special.

Game engines are great but I've never been able to stick with one too long.
Ultimately I always end up going back to writing pure JS and then adding in libraries and frameworks for specific functionalities.

My current game uses the following frameworks and libraries:
The CreateJS Suite (so easeljs, tweenjs, soundjs, preloadjs) to handle rendering of sprites
Socket.IO for the networking
jQuery for some DOM manipulation (though this one will be phased out)
node.js for the backend

Otherwise there is no overarching game engine in use other than pure javascript using a prototypal object oriented style.

Heard a lot of good things about construct 2, might need to try it at some point. 

But yeh, I started out with Flash (back in the days of Flash 8 and FlashMX), then moved onto 3D game dev with Blenders Game Engine (the BGE) which is what I still mostly use - not HTML5 game engines though, I know (is this thread just restricted to html5 engines? - idk)

Getting into Phaser now because I'm wanting to try out some little 2D browser/mobile games. Wanting to give Unity a go at some point as well, and probably WebGL too... 

Too many game engines, not enough time!

Construct 2.

I used Multimedia Fusion 2 for a long time how a hobbie . Now, with interest in HTML 5 development, i moved to Construct 2, that is much familiar with MMF2.

I love Multimedia Fusion 2, I've used it a lot! Then about one year ago I switched to GameMaker Studio because I needed a scripting language. I've read that Multimedia Fusion 2.5 is coming soon, with support for HTML5 and built-in physics!

My passion for game development started when I was a child with The Games Factory, so I'm a big fan of Clickteam! :D